Whether you and your significant other are a fan of fancy hipster cocktails, cider, craft beer, local wine, or high-quality coffee and tea – the Passport Program is a great offering for couples. It’s hard to beat buy-one-get-one drinks for date night (or date day – who says you have to wait until 5 o’clock?).
What is the Passport Program?
This genius little booklet – which they refer to as a ‘boozy field guide’ – began in Colorado, but has expanded to also have Passport Program offerings in Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota, and Washington D.C. Each passport lists all the local establishments that are participating and what drink deal is available there. And if you go to that city’s page on the Passport Program website, you can see a helpful map with each location plotted out.
Passport Program Locations
This program continues to grow, but as of August 2019, they have this offering in ten cities/areas.
- Boulder, CO – with 46 offerings included.
- Denver, CO – with 68 offerings included.
- Rocky Mountains, CO – with 48 offerings included.
- Colorado Springs, CO – with 56 offerings.
- Fort Collins, CO – with 52 offerings included.
- Kansas City, MO – with 58 offerings included.
- Madison, WI – with 42 offerings included.
- Minneapolis, MN – with 67 offerings included.
- St. Louis, MO – with 52 offerings included.
- Washington D.C. – with 62 offerings included.
You can buy a Passport Program booklet online or at one of the local establishments listed as a sales location for that city.
Why the Passport Program is Perfect for Couples
1. Lots of Savings
As a single person, the Passport Program may not be as worthwhile unless you go out with friends often or want to use it to make quick new friends at the bar. But, for couples it is perfect! You get to go out to a favorite local place – or try somewhere new – and enjoy two drinks for the price of one. Heck yea! The Passport will run you about $25, but you’ll easily make that back if you use it 4-5 times. Which shouldn’t be a problem with so many options!
2. A Chance to Try New Places
A lot of the time, you get in the habit of going to ‘your place’ for happy hour, but this allows you an excuse to try some places you’ve always wanted to – or maybe have never even heard of! And these deals are available at any time! While many will just let you pick anything on the menu, some only offer a special cocktail – which makes it a fun way to switch up your usual routine.
3. Months of Date Ideas
Each summer passport is valid from May 24th to September 30th. That’s plenty of time to visit the 40+ establishments in this boozy little booklet. Maybe you’ll want to plan a DIY bar crawl one weekend, or just pick one place to try per week to break up your schedule. Whatever you choose, there are tons of options!
4. There’s a Winter Version, too!
While the summer version will come to an end on September 30th, the Passport Program will be opening sales for the winter version soon after. What a great way to stay warm on those cold nights than to snuggle up and sip on something yummy. In 2018, it was available to use beginning November 6th until April 15th (tax day).
Tips for Using the Passport Program
- Use the online map to plan out where you want to go.
- Don’t forget your ID.
- Be sure to tip like you would for two drinks.
- Try pairing it with happy hour for more deals!
- Look into when the establishments have special events like trivia, karaoke, or comedy shows for a bonus dose of fun.
- Plan out your transport! Don’t drink and drive, y’all! Be sure to have a plan, whether it be Lyft, public transport, or maybe even walking to and from the location, if possible.
Overall, just have fun! And use #drinkingwithpassport to share about your experience and help spread the word about this awesome offering. The more popular it gets, the more places will want to be involved!
Special thanks to the Passport Program for providing us with a Boulder Passport to review. As shown in the featured photos, we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it. A few favorites in Boulder were Acreage for cider, Dushanbe Teahouse for unique cocktails, and Oskar Blues for beer.